Product Code: D2D4
NSR's “Satellite Direct to Device Markets, 4th Edition (D2D4) ” report provides a comprehensive analysis of the satellite D2D (Direct-to-Device) market opportunity, including market drivers and restraints, key use cases, and strategic insights.
Market Opportunity and Overview:
- The report describes the satellite D2D market opportunity, which represents a significant growth area within the satellite industry.
- NSR was one of the first market research firms to identify this opportunity, and this report represents the 4th annual update with a high level of maturity and in-depth analysis.
Key Focus Areas:
- NSR's “D2D4” aims to build a complete picture of trends and strategic choices within the satellite D2D market.
- It provides forecasts for service revenues and traffic broken down by region and market segment.
- Recommendations are offered for satellite operators, mobile network operators (MNOs), and equipment and infrastructure vendors on how to capture a portion of this growing market.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What is the revenue opportunity for the emerging satellite D2D market?
- What use cases can MNOs target beyond their terrestrial coverage leveraging satellite D2D?
- What are the limitations and strength of satellite D2D?
- Which are the key technology developments that will shape the future of the market and how should players stay adaptive to this evolution?
- Who are the main players and which are the different strategies (spectrum, supply and capabilities, standards, business models, etc.)?
NSR's “Satellite Direct to Device Markets” report is intended for various stakeholders in the satellite and telecommunications industries, including:
- Satellite operators seeking to understand revenue potential, traffic forecasts, and market dynamics.
- MNOs and CSPs interested in satellite D2D as a source of growth and differentiation.
- Chipset and parts vendors, OEMs, and infrastructure vendors (both space and terrestrial) looking to assess strategic choices in terms of spectrum, standards, and business models.
- Regulators and industry agencies seeking to leverage D2D to foster innovation and bridge the digital divide.
- NSR's “Satellite Direct to Device Markets” stands out due to the unique combination of expertise from NSR in the satellite industry and Analysys Mason's knowledge of telecommunications trends.
- “D2D4” leverages NSR's understanding of the space industry and Analysys Mason's insights into telco trends and consumer needs.
- “Satellite Direct to Device 4” draws from extensive primary research, including interviews with key industry players, and is based on a solid foundation of secondary research.
- NSR's “D2D4” serves as a roadmap for future strategic decisions, helping readers navigate various market segments, regions, and strategic options in the dynamic satellite D2D landscape.
NSR's “Satellite Direct to Device Markets, 4th Edition” report offers valuable insights and recommendations for industry stakeholders interested in capitalizing on the emerging satellite D2D market opportunity. It leverages the expertise of NSR and Analysys Mason to provide a comprehensive and unbiased analysis of this evolving landscape.
Covered in this Report:
- Key recommendations for participating in the satellite D2D ecosystem
- Service revenues forecast by region and segment
- Traffic forecast by region and segment
- Addressable market definition
- Review of the key strength and limitations of the satellite D2D capabilities
- Timing of the technology evolution and implications for the development of the market
- Assessment and implications of key strategic choices: spectrum, standards and business models
- Service Revenues
- Service Revenues
- Government and Military
- Service Revenues
Companies included in this Report:
Airbus, Apple, AST SpaceMobile, AT&T, Bullitt, Echostar, Ericsson, Globalstar, Honor, Huawei, Inmarsat, Iridium, Lynk, Mediatek, Motorola, Nokia, Nothing, OmniSpace, Oppo, PNCC, Qualcomm, Rakuten, Sateliot, SCT, Skylo, SMART, Starlink, Telefónica, Thales Alenia Space, T-Mobile, vivo, Vodafone, Xiaomi.
Table of Contents
About this report
- Challenge: MNOs' revenue sources and social impact are limited by the reach of terrestrial networks
- Solution: Satellite D2D extends MNOs' opportunities by boosting subscriber engagement, enabling new services and reducing rural network deployment costs
- 1. D2D as MNOs' new source of differentiation and growth
- 1. Satellite D2D service revenues to skyrocket to 48.6USD billion by 2032
- 2. D2D will attract market interest from 3 main segments: consumer, IoT and Gov/Mil
- 3. Consumer segment to dominate the revenue scene, but IoT and Gov/Mil present specialized opportunities
- 4. Satellite D2D does not represent a competitive risk for MNOs. The technology should be regarded as an enabler for new revenue streams
- 2. Fit for the fast-paced technology and business evolution
- 1. Actors in the field should stay adaptative to the extraordinarily fast evolution in technology and business
- 2. Timing of supply is critical to balance market readiness and competitive advantage. Spectrum is the key resource. Exponential supply growth needed
- 3. Aligning the value chain
- 1. Building the right ecosystem of partners is critical to deliver D2D's complex solution
- 2. Using MNOs' spectrum offers faster ramp-up thanks to backward compatibility. MSS long-term advantages due to regulatory certainty and enhanced performances
- 3. Standards-based solutions should be the preferred approach to facilitate scalability, albeit proprietary protocols offer a faster path to commercialization
- 4. Satellite offerings should focus on wholesale models that are attractive for MNOs
About the authors and Analysys Mason
List of Exhibits
- Figure 1: Evolving Space enablers unlocking the opportunities in the satellite D2D market
- Figure 2: MNOs' limitations to create and capture value beyond their coverage
- Figure 3: Key segments enabled by satellite D2D
- Figure 4: Satellite D2D service revenues worldwide, 2022-2032
- Figure 5: share of service revenues per vertical worldwide
- Figure 6: satellite D2D cumulative service revenues (USD million) worldwide, 2022 to 2032
- Figure 7: Satellite D2D traffic with technology phases worldwide, 2022 to 2032
- Figure 8: generic legacy constellation supply case study